Dull and lifeless hair, premature greying, frizzy untamed hair and hair fall, are just a few of the hair woes that we are increasingly facing these days.
Undoubtedly, you must have tried switching shampoos a couple of times in vain. But have you ever thought of replacing your shampoo bottle for a shampoo bar?
Shampoo bottles contain nothing but a chemical soup of synthetic ingredients, preservatives, detergent soaps, foam boosters, fragrance oils and synthetic colours which causes more harm than good. Exposing hair to toxic chemicals with every wash not only damages hair health but can also lead to other serious problems over time.
It’s time to throw that bottle out of the window and look for safer, gentler and effective alternatives.
So, What is a shampoo bar?
A shampoo bar is a simple, all-natural, conditioning shampoo in a solid bar form. Organic and natural shampoo bars are loaded with nourishing and revitalising ingredients which nourishes and fortifies scalp and hair follicles, while moisturising and sealing the strands.
Using a shampoo bar was a common practice before the 1940s, until the liquid shampoos got invented. Organic shampoo bars create a good amount of lather, cleaning the hair and scalp without stripping off the natural protective oils.
Five Benefits of Shampoo Bars
- Use of natural oils and aromasMost shampoo bars are made up of natural, replenishing ingredients like argan oil, hemp seed oil, coconut oil or castor oil. Beauty products use over 400 nasty chemicals under the umbrella term “fragrance” or “perfume”. However, shampoo bars use natural perfumes like tea tree and rosemary essential oils for fragrance as well as its therapeutic benefits. They do not contain any of the synthetic goop that can damage your hair.
- Healthy and lustrous hairUse of these amazing bars not only leave the hair feeling squeaky clean and luscious, but they even treat your split ends and tame frizzy hair. Thanks to all-natural ingredients, they prevent heat damage, keep it shiny and even treat dandruff. Chemical-based shampoos take away the natural oil from the scalp, causing dryness and hair fall. When the natural oils get washed away, our oil glands have to produce extra oil, causing the greasiness in hair, which we start to experience a couple of days after wash. This, in turn, requires more washes leading to the vicious cycle.
- No Harmful ingredientsShampoo bars are made of all organic, natural and fresh ingredients, whilst the commercial shampoo’s formulation consists of harsh chemicals and detergents with moisturising emollients and natural extracts topped up to just about 1-2 percent.
- Environmentally ConsciousIt is a great way to transition your beauty routine into an eco-friendly one when you replace your bottled shampoo with a natural bar. Shampoo bars decrease our ecological footprint by getting rid of plastic bottles and other packaging. When chemical-based shampoos are washed down the drain, they become a part of the ocean and negatively affect the marine life. So think before you buy!
- Longer lasting for greater valueShampoo bars are more concentrated than traditional shampoos and hence little goes a long way, making it more cost-effective. A standard bar can be used for 8-10 washes, with conditioning natural ingredients, you can even skip the use of conditioner and save more.
How to identify the right product?
One might think that all shampoo bars are good. However, not all shampoo bars are made equal. Read the labels carefully and beware of unpronounceable chemical ingredients and synthetics.
Here are some factors to look out for and know when to press the green or the red button –
Cold-pressed: Choose products with cold-pressed oils because this extraction process involves heating gently at low temperatures to retain the nutritive value of oil. They are rich in nourishing fats and often free from chemicals.
Surfactant: All soaps contain surfactants because they are responsible for causing lather. Common surfactant soaps contain SLS or SLES. They remove the dirt, oil, etc. from hair in form of lather but also cause dry and itchy scalp. To subsidise, we are recommended to use conditioner. While selecting your product do check the SLS/ SLES content.
Perfumes and dyes: It’s a regular practice to add artificial fragrance that may be hazardous. But why not select a product that uses natural essential oils for smell?
Minimalistic ingredients: Embrace products with limited and natural ingredients for simple yet effective hair care. Minimalistic approach means you are aware of every ingredient that goes in there without any toxic sneaky chemicals. No Preservatives – When you look for preservative-free hair care product you automatically strike off mass-produced products with endless shelf life. We know that natural products have short life period and are effective only in that window. So choose small packaging and fresh, made to order products for best results.
What Product should I choose?
Try Hemp with Argan and Activated Charcoal Shampoo Bar that checks on all of the above factors that we would love in our shampoo bar. It makes your hair strong and healthy from within and clean and silky smooth from outside.
This shampoo bar by Satliva is one excellent combo of shampoo and conditioner. This Shampoo bar cleanses the hair, removes impurities from the scalp and absorbs excess oils. It also helps strengthens hair follicles and removes knots.
Let us explore the ingredients that make it worthy:
Hemp Seed Oil – With an abundance of essential fatty acids, vitamins, and protein, Hemp Seed Oil nourishes and fortify scalp and hair follicles, while moisturising and sealing the strands.
Castor Oil – Rich in ricin-oleic acid, it fights inflammation, conditions the hair follicles and promotes hair growth.
Coconut Oil – The lauric acid in coconut oil nourishes the hair with vitamins, minerals and medium-chain fatty acids resulting in better hair growth.
Palm Oil – Rich in vitamin E, it promotes cell growth of the hair follicles, resulting in stronger hair.
Argan Oil – Rich in antioxidants, essential fatty acids, and vitamin E, it improves the elasticity of hair, restores the shine, and help to get rid of knots.
Activated Charcoal – It gently cleanses, removes impurities and absorbs excess oils.
Peppermint Essential Oil – Peppermint improves hair growth and prevents hair loss while imparting a fresh fragrance.
Lemon Grass Oil – It is beneficial in strengthening hair follicles and bringing relief to other scalp conditions. Plus, it giving a refreshing fragrance.
Try the chemical-free, hemp-based Shampoo bars from Satliva to not only get rid of the health hazards commercial shampoos pose but also rejuvenate your hair and live happily hair after!